Monday, August 20, 2012

A Night at the Symphony

Ordinarily, a night at the symphony would probably not interest me too much. Not that I don't enjoy classical music, I just have a fairly short attention span for those types of things. Last night, however, was a night at the symphony that I doubt I will ever forget.

Last night Donovan and I went to see a performance of the San Diego symphony's Summer Pops series. These events are held outside on the Embarcadero, on the grass down by the water. The show we saw last night was the music from the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, played by the symphony while the movie was shown on a big screen.

The view from our seats

A few months ago, Donovan and I did a Pirates marathon and watched all four movies. I completely fell in love with the music from the movies. It's so powerful and exciting, and it gets totally stuck in my head. So when I found out that the symphony was going to be playing the music live, I simply *had* to go.

I knew that it was going to be a cool show...how could it not be? I don't think I was prepared for quite how amazing it was, though. First of all, we're outside at night, by the water, and the weather was nice. The moon was just a sliver, about a quarter of the way up from the water. The symphony was playing the soundtrack for the movie as we watched, and the movie itself is just so much fun! I hadn't really thought about it, but there are many parts in the soundtrack where there are men's voices singing Ahhs in accompaniment to the music. Lo and behold...on stage with the symphony was a men's choir to sing those parts! SO cool!!!

I found it was easy to get wrapped up in watching the movie and forget that the orchestra was playing. Every few minutes I leaned over to Donovan and said "They're playing that music right now!" I was like a little kid who couldn't contain my excitement. And as amazing as the whole show was, it really hit me during the credits when I wasn't distracted by the screen and could really give my whole attention to the orchestra. They played the song that I most love, which is the most exciting and powerful out of the movie, and it was simply *spectacular*!!

I am so very happy that we went to see that show! If you have a chance to see this, I highly recommend the experience! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful example of how being in the moment can be so satisfying

fredibaker said...

Live performance is the best!! There is nothing that can quite compare, and how amazing to see such a big movie with the symphony, the sky and your love beside you ;-)

Sigal Tzoore said...

I remember when we went with you to see this once. I think the Wizard of Oz was showing, maybe? Or some movie that was appropriate for young kids.