Friday, October 26, 2012

All Good Things...

...Must Come to an End.

Our time in France is almost over...we fly home to San Diego on Monday.

I can't believe we've been away from home for over nine weeks already, and that we've been here in Villefranche for almost eight of those! It has been an *AMAZING* adventure, and as it winds down the feelings are bittersweet. On one hand, I'm super excited to be going home. Home to our comfy bed, home to our friends, home to good sushi, home to our dryer (seriously!), home to our cars, home to awesome San Diego. And on the other hand, I'm sad to be leaving this beautiful place we've called home these last two months. The picturesque views, the cruise ships in our harbor, the three-day weekends of adventure and fun, the fresh bread, the buses and trains, the freedom from our "things-we-have-to-do" syndrome.

We have both learned so much about ourselves and each other this trip. What we like, what we don't like, what we'd do differently the next time. And really, that was the whole point of this adventure. To go out there and do this thing we've said we wanted to do for so long, see what it's like, and see if we'd want to do it again (yes!!).

Probably the biggest lesson I learned about myself is that it's really important for me to speak the language of the place I'm living in. Not just so I can have bare-minimum-to-get-by communication, but so that I can actually socialize with people! I am a social creature by nature, and to not be able to just shoot the shit with people was really missing for me.

Almost as big a lesson is realizing that small-town living is not for me. My whole life I've really only ever lived in suburbia, first in Silicon Valley, and then in San Diego. Villefranche sur Mer (which is not necessarily as small-town as you can get, I grant you), though quaint and gorgeous, just doesn't have enough life to it. This was never more apparent to me than after we spent a few days in bustling, amazing London. So maybe next time we'll have to try big city living (I vote for London!), though I imagine I'd get tired of that as well.

All in all, this has been the adventure of a lifetime, and I am SO VERY THANKFUL that all the pieces came together so that we could do it! We are so very blessed!!

(Image Source)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Iris, thank you so much for sharing your experiences! I showed some of your pictures (the harbor view) to coworkers and they were all like: "Wow!" Living your dream inspires other people to do the same!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this journey with us. My husband and I are called to do something similar. And perhaps, live in different cities part of the time. We can choose to live in a big bustling city -- like London ;) -- part of the time, and then a smaller, "quainter" town somewhere part of the time. With a mobile lifestyle, it is alllll possible.