Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Comedy of Errors

Earlier this week I was up at my parents' house in Saratoga for a few days. On Wednesday I was planning to ride my bike to my facial appointment, which was about 5 miles away. I got up early to make sure I had plenty of time to eat and get ready and still get there on time. There I was, ready to go. Tires all pumped up, helmet, bike shoes and gloves on. Then I realized that I needed to go to the bathroom. No biggie, there was one right downstairs by where I was. But when I tried to close the door, my mom's pull-up bar was in the way. Okay, so I run upstairs and go to the bathroom up there. But first I take off my bike shoes. So now I'm in socks. You know where this is going, right? On my way back down, I slip on the stone floor, bounce down two stairs, and land right on my ass on some very hard travertine. The shockwave went straight up my spine. I sat there stunned for a second, trying not to cry (it hurt!), and then decided that if I was going to make it to my appointment on time, I needed to leave. So I go back down, put my bike shoes on and start to leave. I reach back to check out the sore butt, and realize that my fall apparently ripped a giant hole in the back of my bike shorts! Of course I only took one pair of bike shorts up to my parents' house, so my choice is to ride with my ass hanging out for all the world to see, or give it up. I opted to drive to my appointment.

At the time, none of this was particularly amusing, but now I can see the humor in it. For the record, my ass hurt for several days afterwards, and I had a nice bruise, too! Good times!!

2 comments:

seeryanrun said...

Nice. Nothing like a good sore ass story. You are learning the ways of the blog, grasshopper.

danban said...

well at least you realized that you had a hole in your shorts before actually getting out on a ride and having people honk at you :0)