Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Haircut

This morning when we were lounging around in bed (yes, we're taking advantage of the fact that we can do that since we don't have kids!), I was noticing how long Donovan's hair was getting on top, and I decided that I wanted to try and cut it myself.  Every time he goes for a haircut I go with and I sit and watch them cut his hair.  I realize that cutting hair is an art.  I realize this every time I watch my friend Gea cut my hair.  So no, I don't think that suddenly with no training whatsoever I'm going to be a world-class hair stylist.  And, at the same time, Donovan's haircut is not that complicated, and I wanted to give it a try!


Lucky for me, he was game to try it.  So tonight, before we went out to dinner with our friends Melinda and Heath, I took a stab (pun intended?) at hair cutting.  We decided that the kitchen would be the best place to do this, since we have tile flooring that we could sweep up afterwards.  We wrapped Donovan in a sheet (no fancy capes here!) and I got to work.  First I started with the electric hair clipper with a #4 attachment, and I gave the lower part of his [big giant] head a pass.  Then I took off the attachment and used the clippers to shave his sideburns, the back of his neck, and around the ears.  Then came the real fun part.  The scissors!

I have no idea how people hold the comb and scissors in the same hand and actually use them.  That SO did not work for me!  I quickly gave up on that attempt, and just mostly ran my fingers through his hair instead.  We were going for finger-length hair on top, so that's what I did.  I cut and I cut and I cut and I sprayed water and I cut and I cut and I cut and I sprayed more water and I cut and I cut...for like forty-five minutes!  Me being the meticulous perfectionist that I am, I needed to make sure that I got it right and didn't miss anything (which of course I did anyway!).  Donovan was very patient with me, and seemed to be enjoying the experience, as I certainly was!

In the end, his haircut turned out really well!  Ironically, finger-length turned out to be about the same as if I had just used one of the attachments on the electric clippers...kind of like a long buzz cut.  But it still looks good, and now I have more confidence in my ability to cut hair!  I'm unclear why it turned out a little shorter than we wanted, but we're both happy with the end result, and that's all that matters!  I'm looking forward to the next time!!  :)

Photo Source

1 comment:

Donovan said...

I love my new short haircut! It feels really good.

About the comb -- for about 45 minutes, it was a scissor cut followed by about 5-10 seconds of pawing at my head, rinse, repeat.

You were really, really cute, and so meticulous. Getting within inches of my head to make sure there were no stray hairs.

Yet another of your random impulses satisfied, in a fun way!

Love yoU!