Saturday, March 31, 2012

Mammogram

A few weeks ago I went to the lady-parts doctor for my annual exam and to ask her some questions about pregnancy. She suggested that I get tested for the Rubella and Chicken Pox vaccines to make sure I had them in my system. She also recommended that I get a mammogram done since I'm in my late 30s and they don't do mammograms on women who are pregnant or breast feeding.


I couldn't remember if I had ever had a mammogram done before, and anyone I said that to said "Oh, you'd remember if you had."  Since I don't remember, then I guess I haven't?

I went in on Wednesday for my mammogram.  I had it done at the Scripps Polster Breast Care Center in La Jolla, which is a very nice facility.  Almost like a spa, except for all the medical equipment and whatnot.  I even got a chair massage after my mammogram!  The technician who performed my test was very pleasant.  I have to say, the mammogram didn't hurt at all.  It wasn't even that uncomfortable.  Probably the weirdest thing was having her man-handle (woman-handle?) my breasts to get them situated properly on the machine.  Yeah, they got squished, but it didn't hurt!  I asked her about it and she said that women with smaller breasts probably feel it more, but those of us who have the bigger boobs (even after a reduction!) maybe don't feel it as much.  Any thoughts on that from those of you out there who have had a mammogram?

The Polster Center is also where I went in 2008 to have an ultrasound done on a lump in my left breast, and then a surgery to remove said lump (benign) in 2009.  So being there again definitely brought up some thoughts about cancer.  That and the fact that the night before I went, I found out that a friend of mine has cancer.  Supposedly it's the "good" kind of cancer to get, and once they remove the tumor and do something radioactive, she should be fine.  And we don't know for sure.  But I am definitely sending lots of positive thoughts and energy and love her way.  I'm not a big fan of cancer, and I'm looking forward to the day (hopefully very soon!) where some brilliant scientist somewhere out there comes up with a cure.

Photo Source

No comments: