Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Save Me a Seat!

As of today, we are in Cabo for a Landmark vacation course called "Transforming Yesterday's Strategies".  From what I can tell so far, the idea of the course is to look at how things that happened early in our lives created the strategies that we now use in our everyday lives.  Specifically the strategies we use when relating to men and the strategies we use when relating to women.  Should be a very interesting course!

Today was the first day of the course, and we had a short session, just over an hour.  Right after the session was our first dinner together, and our assignment was to notice what strategies we use when picking where to sit at dinner.  There are about 35 of us in the course, and there were tables of six or eight people.  A few of our very good friends are in the course with us, and on the way out of the course session, I called out to Roz and CJ, who were heading down to dinner, "Save me a seat!!"  Then Donovan and I went to the room to freshen up, and when we went down to dinner about ten minutes later, Roz and CJ had sure enough saved us two seats next to them. 

Looking at my strategy, I totally played it safe.  Rather than just going down to dinner and sitting wherever there was space, with whomever was at the table, I made sure that I would get to sit with my good friends.  I'm not 100% sure where this strategy comes from, but looking back I can certainly think of many occasions at meals or events when I didn't get to sit next to who I wanted to, or had to sit next to someone I didn't want to.  I was probably just avoiding that experience!  Of course I always have the choice of how I'm going to let something like that affect me, and truth be told, sometimes I have a very young reaction to it!!  :)

I'm looking forward to seeing where the course will take us this week!! 

4 comments:

Jenny C said...

Very interesting! Enjoy your course, & the "new friends" you will meet!

Sigal Tzoore said...

Perhaps you can challenge yourself in this course and let fate choose for you who you will sit with in future meals. You can try and ask yourself, why did I end up sitting with this person, what can I learn from them? Take a chance! Meet some people you might not in general be comfortable with! Seek out someone who would usually scare you. I ended up best friends with the strangest man on my Mt Olympus trip.

Sigal Tzoore said...

Oops, sorry I hope that wasn't too preachy :)

Ella Hart said...

I always sit inthe same table and in the same seat. I wonder what that means.. ;-) (I'm perfectly fine with sitting with people I don't know, though).