Wednesday, April 18, 2012

And Then There Was One...

Ah, cats.  Two years ago when Donovan and I moved in together, we each had two cats, and so together we had four.  My girl cat, Monkey (who was 13 at the time), decided that she needed to rule the roost, and started torturing and bullying Donovan's youngest boy cat, Goo (who happens to be about twice her size).  He, in turn, decided that he needed to start peeing all over the house.  Which we think sparked my boy cat, Dexter (who was also 13 at the time), to also start peeing all over the house.  Joy!  So we ended up with a house that reeked of cat pee, which is always so much fun.

Because of the peeing, we chose to adopt Goo out to a good home.  And then there were three.

Dexter was not only peeing all over the house, he was also 13 and sick and needed to be pilled every other day.  This did not make him a good candidate for adoption.  So after much debate and self-torture, I decided to have him put down.  And then there were two.

For the past year and a half, our two remaining cats (Monkey, now 15 and Donovan's boy cat, Franz, 13) have lived together in relative peace.  They weren't fans of each other, and occasionally would get into full on yelling and screaming fights, but for the most part they tolerated each other.  One of mine, one of his, one girl, one boy.

Monkey (who was already on sensitive stomach food) has been puking a lot lately.  Like almost every night.  And it's not just in one spot.  It's like machine gun vomit.  Five or six different spots each time.  On our brand new carpet.  Not cool.  Rather than spending hundreds of dollars on diagnostic tests that probably wouldn't tell us anything, and after much debate and many tears, we chose to take Monkey to the Humane Society yesterday.  Hopefully they'll be able to adopt her out, and if not they'll put her down.  And then there was one.

Stopped to say goodbye to Donovan on the way to the Humane Society

I cried a lot yesterday; on the way down to the Humane Society, when I was saying goodbye to her in the room, and then when I got to the car.  I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.  Mostly, I feel guilty for not being the kind of pet owner who would put up with anything and everything just to keep their pet around.  And at the same time, I just wasn't willing to put up with vomit all over the house anymore.  Monkey is a sweet girl, and I loved having her for the past 15 years.  I truly hope that she finds a good home, and that she's not too scared in the meantime by being in a new place without me.  Our house is definitely quieter today without her here.  We'll miss you, Monkey!

1 comment:

I'm just sayin is all said...

After losing my own Monkey recently, I know how hard loss is, no matter the situation. I'm sorry for what you have had to go through and I know the decision you made was incredibly difficult. My hugs, love, and thoughts are with you.