Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Great Cupcake Experiment Continues...

Tonight was part two of the Great Cupcake Experiment...maple bacon cupcakes with a maple frosting and bacon crumbles:

Photo courtesy of Donovan's awesome iPhone camera

I got the inspiration for these from watching another episode of Cupcake Wars on Food Network.  They had to work with all sorts of odd ingredients, and bacon was one of them.  I've never baked with bacon before.  In fact, in order to make these cupcakes, I needed Donovan to teach me how to cook bacon.  See?  I'm such a good Jew that I didn't know how to cook bacon!  :)

My original idea was to make a maple bacon cupcake with chocolate frosting and bacon crumbles, but when I went looking for recipes, the one I found over and over had a maple frosting with it.  Donovan added his two cents that maple would be better, so that's the direction I went.  And I'm glad I did! 

I really want to learn how each of the ingredients in baking affects the others.  I have no idea what the difference is between baking soda and baking powder, or what effect they each have on the things I bake.  I have no idea what buttermilk does when added to a recipe.  I don't know how to substitute applesauce for other sweeteners.  Without a base recipe to start from, I'm lost!  I don't know if I need to go to culinary school to learn about all this stuff, or if I just need to surf the Interweb to find out.  This is something I want to learn!!!

I'm having fun with my experiments so far, and I'm sure the people at Donovan's work don't mind eating the results.  Wonder what I'll come up with for experiment #3??

No comments: