Saturday, April 14, 2012

New Car!

We got a new car today!  :)  Yay!!!


We've been talking about getting a crossover for a while now, but we were thinking about waiting until my lease was up next February.  I've enjoyed having the convertible for the last couple of years, and I also miss being higher up and having a bigger car.  For those of you who don't know my history with cars, my last three cars were a 2000 Expedition, a 2004 Expedition, and a 2007 Edge.  Big, big, big!!  And the convertible, while very fun and pretty, was neither high up, nor big.

A few months ago, I hit a big pothole somewhere in town (what? giant potholes in San Diego?  No...) and caused $1,500 worth of damage to my car.  I paid for it out of pocket because going through my insurance would get reported as an accident, and raise my insurance premiums for the next three years.  Last week, before we went up to the Bay Area for Passover, I hit yet another giant pothole on Mira Mesa Blvd. with the front right corner of my car.  It seemed okay, and then when we were driving home from the airport on Sunday, the entire car was vibrating.  So Monday I took it into Lexus to have them take a look, just in case something similar happened.  While I was there, I figured I might as well look at their crossovers and see if I liked them.  And I did!  The sales guy was going to look into it and see if it made sense for me to trade in my convertible for the crossover on a new lease.

Tuesday morning I got a message from my service guy at Lexus.  Somehow, I managed to bend all four rims, and the repair was going to cost close to $4,000.  Oh my good Lord.  Are you kidding me???  I called my insurance guy (different insurance than last time) and asked him what my options were.  Sadly, same story.  It gets reported as an accident and my premiums go up for three years.  I'll spare you the wrath and venom that I feel for the city of San Diego and their stupid potholes...let's just say that in that moment I was pretty pissed off.  And more than that, I was really really done with my convertible car and it's low-profile high performance tires.  I called the sales guy I had talked to the day before and told him I was all done with my convertible, and wanted to get into a crossover ASAP.

It would be great if I could tell you that I somehow got off scott-free from the damage, but that would be unrealistic.  In the end it got folded into my new lease.

They didn't have the exact car that I wanted at the dealership, so it would take a few days to find it.  I got a call yesterday that they would have it for me today, and today we went in and picked it up!  We cleared everything out of the pretty blue car and said goodbye to her, and drove off in our brand new sparkly red car!!  Donovan has already named her Miranda.  :)

1 comment:

Clint Moore said...

It’s good that you finally have a new car. I love your new crossover, especially since it is red. It’s super hot! BTW, you look good together in that photo.

*
Clint Moore