Monday, December 19, 2011

Sushi

Have I told you how much I love sushi?  Sushi could possibly be my favorite food.  So much so that pregnancy scares me because I won't be able to have sushi for nine months!  I could eat sushi multiple times a week.  It's so yummy!!!!  Here's the thing...I don't love just any sushi.  I am a sushi snob!!!  I have been spoiled by some pretty darned amazing sushi, and so I have pretty high standards.

I'm a fan of both the nigiri-style slices of raw fish on rice and also rolls.  Not so much a sashimi fan...I usually need a little bit of rice to cut the fish taste/texture.  Salmon is my all-time favorite raw fish.  But it's got to be good salmon, not fishy salmon.  Melt-in-your-mouth salmon so soft that you can cut it with a chopstick.  That's my litmus test for raw fish.  If I can take a piece of nigiri and cut it in half smoothly with just chopsticks, I know I'm in good shape.  I also love yellowtail a lot.  I'll eat other fish, but those are my favorites.

Our favorite sushi place is called Akai Hana, and it's in Rancho Bernardo.  It used to be called Shien of Osaka.  Mr. Nakamura, who is the manager and best sushi chef EVER makes us anything and everything we ask for.  I've got a few stock rolls that I get there, and he modifies them for me special, and they're AMAZING!  I have yet to find another place in San Diego that has the quality of fish and the amazingness of rolls that are found at Akai Hana.  There is a place right by our house called Kappa Sushi that's pretty good.  I do more of the raw fish there and less of the rolls, which I don't find nearly as impressive as Mr. Nakamura's.

We went to Akai Hana tonight with my best friend Sheri and her husband Dan.  Never a dull moment when we go to eat sushi together!  We had a blast!!  Great friends, amazing sushi...what more could a girl ask for?  :)

A tray of sushi from my bridal shower in August at Akai Hana

1 comment:

Jenny C said...

That looks soooo yummy!! Now I need a sushi fix!

btw, another friend of mine who is a sushi snob, LOVES a place in bankers hill. One day we'll have to experiment together!