Friday, November 18, 2011

I Should Buy Stock in Southwest!

It feels like I'm doing a lot of flying lately.  Which is great, because it means that I have a very full life with a lot of fun adventures!  And, these next few weeks seem a bit over-crowded!  Last week we flew up to Oakland for my coach training, this week I flew up to San Jose for my nephew's bar mitzvah, in two weeks we fly to Vegas for the Rock N Roll half marathon (which I'm pretty sure I'll be walking, given my lack of training!), and then the weekend after that we'll be back here in San Jose again.

Thankfully, Southwest Airlines does a really great job getting us to all these places!  It's interesting how some people *hate* Southwest, and some people love them.  I'm in the love-them category.  I've been flying on Southwest for years and years, and have had mostly positive experiences with them.  True, before 9/11 the flight attendants were much more fun, and they're still a great bunch.  The planes are nice, their prices can be reasonable, and we've had really great luck with on-time flights lately, as well.



There's a hotel in San Diego that has a contract with Southwest Airlines so that all their crew stay there.  The hotel has a sushi restaurant in it, and because of that contract with Southwest, the sushi bar stays open late at night.  One night Donovan and I were there, and we ended up sitting next to a couple of Southwest flight attendants.  I can't remember how the conversation started, but I asked them what they would most like to receive as a gift from a passenger.  The answer was very clear...chocolate!!  This was a few years ago, and ever since then I make it a point to bring a bag of Reese's miniature peanut butter cups (my favorite) on every flight, and I give them to the flight attendants.  I have gotten a wide range of reactions, but one thing is clear.  These folks sure do like being appreciated and thought of!

What's my point?  I'm not sure I have one.  :)  I do know that I'm personally grateful for the existence of Southwest Airlines, and the great people who work for them.  And perhaps I really should look at buying their stock!  :p

Photo Source

1 comment:

Sigal Tzoore said...

I think they should give you a free flight for this recommendation :)
I'm looking forward to seeing you Sunday!