Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ugh...Religion

Disclaimer:  It is not my intention to offend anyone with this post.  And I may anyway, so I apologize.

Last night I was hanging out with a group of participants in this year's Wisdom Course.  We do these coursework parties every week for the entire duration (8 months?) of the course.  One of my good friends at the coursework party last night was talking about religion.  Specifically, how she is disappointed with her religion and can't seem to find an access to spirituality.

The conversation really sparked my anti-religion feelings.  Here is a girl who was totally devoted to her religion, loved God, and then was told that because of some of her beliefs, she basically wasn't good enough for the religion.  I'm over-simplifying, obviously, but that's the gist of it.  If God is supposed to be this benevolent being who loves everyone, why do most religions exclude large groups of people for one reason or another?  For me it occurs like a giant hypocrisy:  "God loves you, as long as you follow these rules and partake in these rituals.  If you don't, then God doesn't love you so much anymore."  When I was in college I wrote a paper about how historically religion has been the cause of countless wars and millions upon millions of deaths.  How could something like that be a good thing?

Here's the thing for me about religion.  I've always felt that everyone has a right to believe in whatever they want to, as long as they're not hurting anyone and not trying to shove their religion down my throat.  And I've been really lucky to have some very patient people around me who are willing to explain the intricacies of their religion to me and answer all my questions.  Personally, I have yet to find (not that I've been searching really hard) a religion that speaks to me.  I'm not even sure what that would look like.  The best I can say is that I do believe in some greater power out there, which I like to call "The Universe."  I believe in Karma and life presenting opportunities to deal with the things there are to deal with (sometimes over and over until I'm ready to deal with something).  I believe in being kind and putting out as much positive energy into the universe as possible.  What I don't believe in is having someone tell me what I can and can't do or who I can and can't love.  Having someone tell me that some people are simply better than others because they believe a certain way.  Having someone tell me that I'm doomed to burn in someone's creation called "hell" if I don't do this, that or the other.

I really hope that my friend finds the answers that she is looking for.  That she finds a God that will accept her as the amazing, loving, kind, beautiful, generous person that she is, and that it brings her peace.  And maybe someday I will find that, too.



Photo Source

2 comments:

katie b said...

i will pray for both of you :) tell your friend to not be discouraged, she just hasn't found the right place to express her spirituality with like minded people, but to also keep in mind that we are all only humans, some more evolved in their beliefs, tolerances and acceptances than others...you can't find fault with those who don't know, because well, they just don't know what they don't know...that is why there are other people out there who do know and are more than happy to lead one to better answers and perspectives if asked. Unfortunately, its the ones who know less that try to jump in and lead ignorantly, leaving a bad taste in the mouths of the uncertain. Don't stop searching because you haven't found what you are looking for, instead, search more diligently and you will find it. Romans 3:3-4 What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar. As it is written: "So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you judge." Hebrews 10:23 "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful."

Unknown said...

Yep. That's all I have to say. -EC