Saturday, November 26, 2011

Poker Night

Once a month, Donovan and I put on the local Mensa poker tournament.  This was his undertaking, which I started helping with last year.  We don't host it here, but we bring all the poker tables, chips, etc., and we collect money and basically run the tournament.  It's a lot of fun every month.  I've never made it to the final table, but I usually play decently enough.  I put in my $20 at the beginning of the night, and however far that gets me, it gets me. 



Tonight was a different format than usual, a sit-and-go format.  So rather than one big tournament and when you're out you're out, it's that as soon as there are eight players ready to play, you start a new table.  And when you're out of one table, you can wait for a new one to start and play there.  I spent the first couple of hours tonight organizing things so that Donovan could play.  This format is much more organizationally intense than the regular tournaments, which we usually both play in.  Donovan came in second at the first table he played at tonight, and won $80 (with a $20 buy-in).  He decided he didn't want to play at another table, so I took the opportunity to play in one of the next tables that started.  Our table decided to pay out the top three spots instead of just top two (we started with ten players).  I came in third and won back my $20 buy-in!  It's the first time I've ever won any money at these tournaments.  Yay!  :)

The people who come to play at the tournaments are really great.  It's a surprisingly small number of Mensa members, considering it's a Mensa event!  We actually get quite an interesting mix of people, and it's always a fun time.

I always feel really good about myself at the end of our poker nights.  The tournaments usually run very smoothly, and we get a lot of compliments from people.  I really feel in my element with making sure that the food and drinks are laid out properly, that everyone is taken care of...basically being a hostess, with a little more responsibility.  It's one of those things that I just know I do well, and it's fun!

Sadly, there's no tournament in December, so I'll have to wait till the end of January for the next one!

Photo Source

1 comment:

Donovan said...

How awesome to have a wife that not only plays poker, and plays well, but loves to run the tournament with me!

I didn't know you feel really good about yourself afterward. I have the same thing! People love the game and give us so much credit.

Congrats on finally cashing tonight!