Monday, November 28, 2011

Jason Mraz is Uh-mazing!

We just got home from seeing Jason Mraz in concert.  That boy is MAGICAL!!!  Every time I see him in concert, I am reminded of why I try to see him every time he comes to San Diego.  This particular concert was an acoustic concert with just Jason and his drummer/percussionist/backup singer Toca.  The show started a little after 7:30pm and ended around 10:30pm with a short intermission.  Out of the two and a half hours or so that they played, I think I knew four or five songs.  Ordinarily that would drive me nuts, and I would be bored out of my mind.  With Jason, it just doesn't matter.


His sound is so smooth, and his voice is simply *amazing*.  And the boy is FUNNY!  Definitely has a great sense of humor, which comes out not only in all the talking he does, but also in his songs.  In one song he and Toca did whale sounds, and then so did the whole audience. 

He is an incredibly versatile musician.  He plays guitar, he plays piano, he sings in a variety of styles...  For one song, he sat down at the piano and played while he sang, and in the middle of the song he went into full on opera-style singing, and he was really f-ing good!  Such a clear, clean, beautifully smooth voice.

I found myself just sitting there and feeling totally peaceful as they played.  I didn't care what time it was, or who was doing what in the audience.  I was totally immersed in the world of music they were creating.  And as I screamed my lungs out after they did "I'm Yours" (my favorite of his songs), I was just plain happy!  San Diego is their home town, and you could see that both Jason and Toca were genuinely touched at the end of the show with the ovation they received.  It was great to be a part of that!

I definitely recommend going to see him if you have the chance.  He's here again tomorrow night, just in case...  :)

Photo Source

No comments: