Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Day of Love and Chocolate

Ah, Valentine's Day.  A day where we're told that we have to buy our loved ones flowers and cards and balloons and of course, chocolates.  A day where 10% of the year's proposals happen (according to this site).  A day all about love.

Wait...a day all about LOVE???

Okay, I'm calling myself out.  I may pretend to be cynical about Valentine's Day, but really, I love it!!  I love that there's a day all about love!  I love that people decorate their workplaces with hearts.  I love that the whole holiday is pinks and reds and purples.  I love giving cards and balloons and gifts, and I love receiving them!  :)

Is the holiday too commercialized?  Yes.  Is it ridiculous how much the prices go up on flowers?  Yes.  Is it insane to try and actually go out for dinner on the day itself?  Yes.

Here's the thing...  I am a very lucky person who is able to express my love for the people in my life every day.  I tell people, I show people...it's not a problem for me.  Not everyone is that lucky, and some people need one specific day a year where they can express their love.  Sad, and...true.

My box of Shari's Berries

This year I made a request for Valentine's Day.  I heard a commercial on the tv last week for Shari's Berries, which I've been wanting to try for years.  I promptly came downstairs to the office and asked Donovan if he would get me Shari's Berries for Valentine's Day, and he did!  I got three different kinds of chocolate-covered strawberries: white chocolate, milk chocolate with almonds, and dark chocolate with little itty bitty chocolate chips.  There were also chocolate-covered maraschino cherries, and four dipped cookies.  Fun!!  Tonight after they were delivered I tried a cherry and a half of each of the three strawberries.  The dark chocolate one is the best, then the milk one with nuts, then the white one.

It was different for me to actually ask for what I wanted versus waiting to see what I would get and then potentially being disappointed.  And Donovan seemed to appreciate my asking, too!

I did struggle a little bit today with the idea of giving without an expectation of receiving anything in return.  This morning I gave Donovan a Valentine's Day card right when we woke up.  Then at lunch time I took him a cute little teddy bear and two red heart balloons with another card to his work.  I had another card waiting for him when he got home from work.  And really, I did all those things because I wanted him to feel special and loved.  And, I had to keep reminding myself that it didn't matter if he did anything for me, that it was enough to have him feel special.  All day I kept checking outside the front door because I was *hoping* that I was going to be getting Shari's Berries, but I didn't know for sure.  And all day there was nothing outside the front door. 

Donovan got home from work and opened his third card.  Finally at about 7:45pm I couldn't take it anymore, and the little girl inside of me got the better of me.  "Did you do anything for me for Valentine's Day?" she asked.  Seriously, not more than thirty seconds later, the doorbell rang, and there was my box of Shari's Berries!  :)  A little while later when I was enjoying my strawberries, I asked whether or not I was going to get a Valentine's Day card (which I did...).  I'm such a dork!!!  As much as I know that my husband loves me, I guess I still want to feel special on these silly commercialized holidays!

All in all, a fun day filled with *extra* love (and chocolate!)...which is never a bad thing!!!  :)

No comments: