Friday, February 17, 2012

A Great Twenty-Four Hours

Wednesday night Donovan and I drove up to Anaheim to spend the night in preparation for our day at Disneyland.  Well technically, we drove up to Placentia to the Residence Inn there.  As we got closer to the hotel, we realized that we had actually stayed there before in December 2010 for one of our Worldworks courses.  I didn't even realize it when I made the reservation!  Because of my platinum status with Marriott, we got upgraded to one of their two-story awesome loft rooms that has a master bedroom, kitchen and family room downstairs, and a loft bedroom and another full bathroom upstairs.  The space was sort of wasted on just the two of us, but it was fun anyway.  We got into the room about 11:00pm and I ended up watching most of The Horse Whisperer on TV.  I haven't seen that movie in *years*!!

Thursday morning we headed to Disneyland.  Clearly it's been a while since I was there...I don't remember the parking structures!!  We waited for the tram for a while, and then decided to walk the half mile to the park.  We got our annual passes (yay!) and then headed into California Adventure to get our passes for that night's World of Color show.  For anyone who hasn't seen that show, it is a MUST SEE!!!  But more on that later.  On our way out of California Adventure we decided to do Soarin' Over California, which is my favorite ride there.  It was super fun!  We headed over to Disneyland and got in line for Star Tours first thing.  I had some hesitation about doing a motion ride like that, especially right after doing Soarin', but we did it anyway.  In hindsight, probably a bad idea!  I didn't get sick, but I definitely felt "off" afterwards.  We walked around the park for a while and got to see the sights.

Eventually we headed out into Downtown Disney to get lunch.  We figured the food in the park wasn't going to be our best choice for healthiness or tastiness, so we ventured out.  We ended up eating outside at this Mediterranean place that was pretty good.  After walking around some more we went back into the park and I humored Donovan by going on It's a Small World.  I'm not entirely sure why he wanted to go on that ride, but he did, so we did!  I think I have a little bit of Small World PTSD, having gotten stuck in there for what seemed like forever one time...and no, the song doesn't stop playing when the ride gets stuck!  We headed into Toon Town and visited Mickey's house, and then went for an awesome ride on the Monorail.  Did you know that at the front and the back of the Monorail train they have these secret compartments that have an awesome panoramic view?  Neither did I!  One of the workers that I was talking to told me about it, and we rode in the back one.  So cool!!

Possibly the highlight of my day (up to that point) was at the Nemo submarine ride (which we didn't actually do), where they had animatronic seagulls doing the "Mine! Mine! Mine!" thing.  I'm not sure how long we stood there watching them, but it made me really really happy.  :)

After that we went and did my favorite ride at Disneyland, Pirates of the Caribbean.  There was practically no line at this point, and we went right in.  It made me really want to watch all the movies.  I'm pretty sure I've seen the first two, but I don't know if I've seen the third and fourth.  We opted out of Indiana Jones (another of my favorites) and Space Mountain in consideration of my motion sickness.  Only so much it can handle in one day!


We headed over to California Adventure and saw the Muppet 3D movie, which was fun.  Then the Monster's Inc ride, and then we headed over to get our spots for the World of Color show.  Somehow, even though there were people who had been waiting for an hour by the time we got there, we got kick-ass spots for viewing the show.  We were near some really nice people who we ended up talking to while we were waiting.  And then, the show started.  Ironically, I had been talking to this woman about the fountain show at Bellagio in Vegas which is my favorite thing about Vegas and which I could watch it over and over again.  She and her family had been in Vegas and somehow she hadn't managed to see the fountain, which she was super bummed about.  I told her that she absolutely needed to see it.  As a loyal fan of said fountain show at Bellagio, let me just say that it doesn't hold a candle to what the people at Disney put together.  The World of Color show was SPECTACULAR!  It was AMAZING!  It was jaw-dropping...literally.  I'm pretty sure I stood there with my mouth gaping the entire almost thirty minutes.  It has a TON of fountains, colors, lasers, movie projections, fire...I can't possibly do it justice in trying to describe it.  Just trust me that you should definitely see it!!  For a short preview of the show (and a little bit about its making), you can watch this.

It was an unbelievable end to a really great day.  Part of what made the day so much fun was having the annual passes.  It took away the stress of having to cram everything into one day.  We could just say "we'll do that next time," where next time could be next week or next month or whenever we feel like driving up there!  It made the day so much more relaxed, which I think allowed us to enjoy it all the more.

We'll skip over the fact that I acted like a giant brat on the way home, and call it a really really awesome twenty-four hours.  I can't wait to go again!!!

Photo Source

No comments: