Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Phone Dilemma is Back!

Two weeks ago tomorrow I upgraded my Droid X to a Droid Razr, the latest and greatest in Droid phones from Verizon.  I'd had my Droid X for almost a year and a half, and it was having serious hanging issues for a few months before I replaced it.  The interface on the Razr isn't much different than on the X, which makes it an easy learning curve.  It's a bigger screen, a thinner phone, faster service (4G), and it doesn't hang, which is a major bonus.  So, all should be puppies and unicorns in the land of cell phones, right?

Wrong.  It has come to my attention that over the past week+, I have missed several text messages from a few different people.  This is one of those awesome intermittent problems that is challenging to diagnose.  It's also one of those problems that makes me completely not trust my phone, because I have no idea if I'm missing texts, from whom, and when.  Also in the past week+ I've had a few occasions where I went to use Internet on my phone, and it just said "No Internet" even though I seemed to have service at the time...

Tonight I called Verizon technical support and spoke to a very nice woman who tried to diagnose my issue.  After a bunch of questions and a few attempts at checking things (reboot my phone, sent me a test text message), she passed me up to the next tier of technical support.  The woman there pretty much said that I should go to the Verizon store tomorrow (the last day in my two week trial period) and get a new phone, because there's probably something faulty with my hardware.

The issue I'm faced with now is whether to get another Razr or whether to try the iPhone 4S.  This has actually been the question for a couple of months now, and two weeks ago I decided to go with the Razr.  But now I potentially have a trust issue with the Razr, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't switch to the iPhone.  Do I go to a totally new interface, lose the ability to have voice and data at the same time, lose Swype, lose 4G and go to a non-Google phone?  Sure, I'll gain Siri and an awesome camera and some other cool Apple stuff...but is it worth it??  I pretty much have to choose tomorrow, since it's my last day to return my phone.  Wish me luck!!

 Razr vs. iPhone 4S

Photo Source

No comments: