Thursday, January 12, 2012

Project Fit to be Fertile

For 2012, I am embarking on Project Fit to be Fertile.  If you like the name, you can thank Donovan...he picked it.  He says the most important part of a project is the name, so there you go.  What is Project Fit to be Fertile?  It is my new fitness and eating regimen, with the goal of getting as healthy and fit as I can before attempting to get pregnant towards the end of this year.   And how am I going about doing that?  I have re-assembled my dream team from when I was having great success with weight loss in 2009...my nutritionist Tara, and my therapist Rachelle, who moved to Dubai in 2010 and just so happens to have gotten back into town last week (serendipity!).  And contrary to what many people do when starting such a program, I have broken up with my trainer and Pilates instructor, and plan to pursue fun exercise on my own (for now).  Walking, Zumba, tennis, bike rides, elliptical at the Y...those are all current options, and I plan to try some new things and see if I like them!


I've heard it said more than once that overweight women have a harder time getting pregnant, and that if they do manage to get pregnant it can be quite challenging with the natural weight gain of pregnancy.  My goal is to stack the odds in my favor.  To that end, my intention is to lose one pound per week until I feel that I'm where I want to be.  I'm guessing it will still be nowhere near where a doctor's chart would want me, and that's okay.

This is NOT a new year's resolution.  I'm not sure why it's important to me that you know that, but it is.  This is me really understanding that there is now something bigger than myself at stake here.  Not just getting pregnant and having a healthy, smooth pregnancy, but being a model of a healthy lifestyle for our child(ren).  So that they can grow up in a household that doesn't revolve around weight and dieting.

In my first week, I lost 1.3 pounds.  A good start!  :)

Photo Source

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Sounds great Iris!

Melinda said...

Now I'm going to step up our walk a notch tomorrow - fueled with this new info! We can follow up with sit ups! Hee hee. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Emily Unter said...

You are amazing Iris and so inspiring! I love you xo