Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pole Dancing

I had my first experience with pole dancing tonight.  My friend Emily had a girls night out for her birthday, and first thing we did was take a pole dancing class at Fun Pole Fitness on University.  It was a special private class just for us.  There were six of us, plus the instructor.  The studio is set up really nicely...they have ten poles for students and one for the instructor.  Included in our package were the shoes.  Oh, the shoes...these were six-inch stilettos with a two-inch platform.  Let me just say...OUCH!!!  Now, I'm a girl who normally wears flip-flops, Uggs, or tennis shoes, so take that with a grain of salt!

 Oh, the shoes!

Our instructor was the studio owner, Marie.  She started us off with learning how to walk around the pole, and taught us some simple choreography.  She has a really great style of teaching.  She broke things down into little steps, so that we could really get them.  Once we were comfortable maneuvering around the pole, she started teaching us some of the turns that eventually had us holding ourselves up on the pole with just our hands while we spun around.  It was crazy fun!  She would teach us something new and then we would add it to the choreography and do the whole dance to the music a few times.  We were picking it up so quickly that she ended up teaching us an extra move that she normally doesn't do for parties.

It was such a fun experience!  Minus the shoes being incredibly uncomfortable, it was a total blast.  I've been curious about pole dancing for a while, and really had no idea what to expect.  They offer a bunch of different classes, including one that is all tricks.  I'm definitely interested in going back!  After our class was over, she showed us some of the crazy tricks that she can do.  I tried to climb the pole, to see if I could, and I did!  I managed to pull myself up and hold myself in place with my inner thighs for a few seconds.  I'm curious to see whether this is something I'd be good at or not!

I took some video with my phone.  Unfortunately, it focused on my arm up close, so everything I shot was out of focus, but you can get the idea.  I'm in the back left corner wearing the blue tank top and black shorts.  You can see me better if you look in the mirror. :)

2 comments:

Laurie Wallin said...

Looks like so much fun!

Steve923a said...

Fun video! and at first I wondered (after reading your blog about funky copyright rules) why this video with a famous copyrighted song can keep the song when your wedding video cannot. But I assume there is some sort of rule saying that if the music is part of an actual performance & integral to the activity that it's ok. So the moral to the story is for people to make their wedding into a song and dance routine choreographed to their desired song :-)