Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lame Rules

A few weeks ago we got a completed wedding montage from our videographer.  He did an amazing job with it, and set it to the song we did our first dance to ("Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat).  We had a few edits for him to make, which he did.  When he delivered our completed wedding DVDs, the final version of the montage was included.

Today I realized that we hadn't posted the montage up for people to see, so I went looking for it.  Unfortunately, the only readable versions I could find were from before the edits we requested.  The final version that we wanted to use was only on the completed DVD he made us.  Not to be stopped, I used video editing software to import the entire DVD and then cut out only the video montage and export it into a readable format.  Yay me!
I uploaded the video to YouTube, all excited and proud of myself.  Immediately I got an e-mail from YouTube about the song that was on the video and how it is owned by WMG (Warner Music Group) and may be blocked.  Sure enough, when Donovan tried to view the video that I had just uploaded, it was blocked.  :(

Once again, not to be stopped, I decided to post the video directly to Facebook.  Take that, YouTube!  Sadly, the quality was not nearly as good.  In the meantime, Donovan found a work-around for getting my video back up on YouTube.  My hero!!  I re-posted a link to the YouTube video on Facebook, and all was well.  Until...

I got an e-mail from our videographer requesting that I take down the video from both YouTube and Facebook.  Apparently record labels have started suing wedding videographers for using copyrighted content, and because of the contract we signed, that would make us liable too.  So, I took down the video from YouTube and Facebook.  :(  A few lucky people got to see if before that happened...

I asked Jason, our videographer, about re-editing the video with a non-illegal song, and he pointed me towards some websites that have appropriate song content.  Unfortunately, they all charge $60+ per song, so I don't think I'll be doing that.  Lame rules!!!  :(

Photo Source

1 comment:

Steve923a said...

Bummer about the barriers to posting with music. Here are a couple brainstorm thoughts:
1) I see videos on YouTube that I think get around copyright by having a link in the bottom right that offers people the opportunity to purchase the song, which I think makes everyone happy.
2) Post the video without sound, and include a comment explaining that you were not able to include the song LUCKY due to copyright but you recommend that people play the song while watching. The song can be easily found on YouTube and played in a 2nd window while viewing your video :-)